A Follow-Up FAQ: How To Apply For A German Language Visa

I’ve already explained most of it in detail in the initial post that I’ve written up here: An Epic Guide to German Language Visa Application. However, some of you still have questions so it’s probably time to update the FAQ. I’ve put together the questions that I’ve been getting below and have answered them in-depth. 

Here goes:

1) How do you write your motivation letter?

This is a popular question. It seems that no one wants to get this wrong because a poorly written motivation letter could screw up your chances of getting the visa. When I wrote my motivation letter, I didn’t have any other sample letters as a guide so I wrote it in the way I thought it was right and I did get the visa.


First off, I wrote it in a formal letter format. Addresses on the left, date on the right and a title that said: Motivation Letter To Do An Intensive Course At (A School Of Your Choice).

The length of the letter was 1.5 pages long. My sentences were short and the intention clear.


Paragraph 1

I started the letter by declaring that German is the language of Kant, Beethoven and Hesse, and also a highly sought after language for job and education opportunities in Europe.


Paragraph 2 & 3

I elaborated on the current employment opportunities in tech and engineering in German cities like Berlin and Munich and how mastering the language would be essential to getting a job in these fields. I spoke a little about startups in Berlin and tied it back to what I’m currently doing professionally. I wrote generically about my admiration for German workplace ethics and culture and how I’d someday love to be part of it.


Paragraph 3 & 4

“As a world traveller, I relish the authentic ‘foreign’ experience and its challenges. I have partied with the locals in Cologne during Carnival, have travelled to Heidelberg, Kiel, Erfurt, Leipzig and Berlin, and yet I believe I’ve only skimmed the surface. Germany is provincial. Each state has its own local delicacies and traditions that are honoured. Like how Thuringia is known for their Roster, Berlin for their Currywurst and Cologne for their Kölsch. Munich has Oktoberfest while Cologne has Carnival. If I could communicate to Germans in German, I believe there will be no end to my discoveries. To think that all Germans speak English, is a myth.


German is not my first European language that I’m learning but it’s by far the most challenging and most stimulating. Nothing beats a full language and cultural immersion while learning it in Germany, the Land of Ideas.”


Last few paragraphs

I mentioned my previous and current efforts in learning the language, why I wanted to learn it at the school and city of my choice and briefly, my personal reasons of learning the language. Highlight how you’ve been taking the initiative on your own to learn German through Youtube or DuoLingo or through a current class that you’re taking. Showcase your efforts and then mention that, to able to do it in Germany itself would double your chances of success.


After that, I included a closing paragraph of thank you, hope you’ll my consider my application and please refer to the supporting attachments as requested (proof of acceptance at language school, health insurance, etc.).

 How To Apply For A German Language Visa \\ Studying German in Germany

2. Can you enter Germany on tourist visa, before the Language Visa date starts?


Let me clarify here a little. The date on the visa sticker (you’ll see it when you get it) would state a starting date and an expiry date. Don’t be surprised to note that the duration of the visa is only for three months, even though if you’ve applied it for a 6-month or 1-year visa. The starting date on the visa is normally the date when they approve your visa and the expiry of the visa would be 90 days later.


Take mine for example. I received a call probably on the 25th March from the embassy, telling me that my visa is ready for pick up. On my visa, the starting date was 24th March and expiry was 21th June. I travelled to Germany on the 29th March but my German course was only due to start two weeks later.


What happens is, when you get to Germany, you’ll still need to go to the Foreigner’s Office to apply for a Residence Permit where you’ll get in a form of an ID card. This Residence ID card (Aufenthaltstitel) is technically the ‘real’ visa which will state the duration of time you can stay in Germany.


Why so complicated? I have no clue.

3. Why do we need a Residence Permit (Aufenthaltstitel) when we have a visa?


As reasons stated clearly in question #2. The initial visa that you have, stuck on one of the pages of your passport, is just an indication that you are allowed to enter the country and apply for the Residence Permit in Germany itself. The visa itself is important for the first entry into Germany but would not mean anything after that. What matters after arrival and how long you can remain in the country is your Residence Permit (Aufenthaltstitel).


4. Do you need to apply for health insurance before or after the visa application?

Before. You’d need to show proof that you possess valid health insurance for the visa application. Health insurance for language students are different from statutory health insurance for regular (university, high school, PhD) students. A few private companies offer this, including Mawista and CareConcept. When choosing the right policy, make sure you select language student and not student as an option.

5. How much money do you need in the Blocked Account?

I think the sum differs from year to year. You’ll have to check with the embassy for that. But for a rough approximate, Fintiba Bank mentioned on its website that it should be at least 720 euros a month. Which means, if you plan to apply for a 6-month stay, you’ll need 720 euros x 6, hence: 4320 euros.



That’s it! I hope the FAQs could help clarify doubts that you have. I’ve answered your questions based on my personal experience. But for clearer and more accurate answers, you should really contact the German embassy in your city.


If you do have further questions, do leave them at the comments below and I’ll try to answer them to my best ability.





Ying Tey on FacebookYing Tey on Instagram
Ying Tey
Ying Tey Reinhardt (Piccola Ying) is a Malaysian writer and copywriter based in Germany.

In her vagabonding heydays, she's backpacked to many countries, lived in a few, funded her wanderlust by teaching English to sailors on Italian cruise ships and making coffees in hipster cafes.

Her work has appeared in Marie Claire, Roads & Kingdoms, Bootsnall and OffAssignment.

You may also like


  • Aiman 16/10/2017   Reply →

    Hi Ying Tey,

    Is it possible to legally work part-time with the German Language Visa?


    • Ying Tey 16/10/2017   Reply →

      Unfortunately not. You can only work part time when you’re on a proper student visa.

      • mae 19/02/2018   Reply →

        Hi. I just read on other sites that IT IS possible for language course student to get a part time job but with stricter regulations. Is this correct? I am planning to move to Germany on July and I will enroll for a language course…. And by the way, can someone outside Germany provide sponsorship of my language course?

        • Ying Tey 19/02/2018   Reply →

          I’m not sure about working. It says on your residence permit that you can’t. If you’ve read it on other sites, why don’t you ask the writers of those sites to verify? As for sponsorship, it’ll be best if you ask the embassy yourself. They’ll have a more accurate explaination for you.

  • Aiman 16/10/2017   Reply →

    wow very fast reply haha. Thanks Ying Tey.

  • Yuvati 25/10/2017   Reply →

    Hi, I’ve already prepared everything and waiting for my visa interview on November. But I still havent found any accommodation in Germany. I contacted a lot of flat owners but i dont get any response until now. I guess it’s because they need to meet face-to-face first. So, i would like to ask you that do I have to write germany’s address on the visa application form ?

    Thank you.

    • Ying Tey 25/10/2017   Reply →

      Hmm…I’m not entirely sure but maybe you could write down where you’d be staying ie: hotel’s address, etc?

  • Svetlana 10/12/2017   Reply →

    After your application for a visa, how long you wait to take it?

  • Panca 04/01/2018   Reply →

    Hey there it’s me again!
    I’ve got my visa appointment in a week. I’ve prepared everything, like insurance, LoA by language course, banks, and stuff. But the only thing I am still confused is that about this motivation letter. I thought that we get it written at home and ready to be handed over during the visa interview. Well there’s an information I read on the internet that we have to write our motivation letter during the visa interview, where the visa officer will give you a blank paper to write on. Which one did happen to you? if the latter, then it means, that we have to “memorize” our “well planned and organized” motivation letter. If that is the case, do you happen to know how long we’re given to write the letter.

    Thank you again for replying so fast last time.
    Regards Panca

    • Ying Tey 04/01/2018   Reply →

      Hi Panca, that’s interesting. I wrote it at home and submitted it as part of the application. But if the rules have changed, I don’t know. Where did u read about this other procedure?

  • Mimi 13/01/2018   Reply →

    Hey Ying Tey,

    First, thank you so much for this wonderful brief. I am preparing for a Language Visa and I found this Information so helpful. What are some of the questions that they ask during the interview? Also does it mean, you cannot apply for a Language Visa if your intentions are to study thereafter- for example, your dream course at the university requires you to have a C1 in German? What would you advise in such a situation? Last but not least, what did you do after the 1 year of your Language studies? Did you go back home? Did you apply for another type of visa from Germany?
    Thanks in advance

    • Ying Tey 13/01/2018   Reply →

      Hi Mimi, to answer your question: I’ve no idea what interview questions are because I didn’t have an interview. Or at least during my time there was no interview. Technically if you want to be a student in a uni you need to apply for a student visa. You can have that visa to also learn German till your level meets the uni requirements before starting your course. As for me after I finished my one year I changed my visa to a spouse visa. After marriage of course.

  • Liz 26/03/2018   Reply →

    Hi Ying Tey!

    Your blog is very helpful. My question is, do you have any experience with Ausbildung and the type of visa that they may require for it?Thank you.

    • Ying Tey 16/04/2018   Reply →

      I don’t think there’s a specific visa to an Ausbildung. I think you’ll be eligible for a student visa, provided that you have been accepted in a university or some kind of Hochschule in Germany.

Leave a comment